Organiclea is looking for volunteer support gardeners at Hawkwood Community Plant Nursery to ‘buddy’ other volunteers who have higher support needs.
Explore the idea of ‘people care’ in a horticultural setting. Organiclea is looking for volunteer buddies to support others to grow food and participate in activities at Hawkwood Community Plant Nursery. People are at the heart of the work at Organiclea’s growing and distribution site, including volunteers with learning and physical difficulties, language barriers and mental health support needs. We value our diverse community, and recognise that working here can bring enormous benefits.
Through structured sessions and practical work, the Buddy Scheme will explore:
- ways to create an inclusive atmosphere
- how to simplify tasks
- boundaries and safeguarding
- permaculture and people care
- how working in nature and in community can bring therapeutic benefits
Dates: 6 week course, 2nd April – 7th May 2014 Wednesdays 10am – 5pm, lunch is provided.
After the 6 weeks training we hope the buddies continue volunteering at Hawkwood in order to practice their learning and to support other volunteers here.
There are no specific skills or experience required to join this training scheme – just an enthusiasm for working with people, and an interest in sustainable food systems. It might suit you if you are:
- looking to work with or participate in a community growing project
- you have a background in care work and are interested in developing your experience in a ‘green care’ or food growing setting
- are looking to widen your horticultural experience to include people care
To join or for more info, contact Jo on 0208 524 4994 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
March 7th, 2014 → 6:49 pm @ Clare