Getting Young People into Local Food Enterprise
Ever thought about a career in horticulture, food retail or food processing? The UK’s horticultural industry employs over 200,000 people – come and find your place in it!
In summer 2013 Organiclea launched a work scheme for young people in partnership with Waltham Forest Council. The scheme will offer a range of opportunities within our food enterprises including:
- Introductory work tasters
- 10 week work experience placements (with accreditation)
- Paid work placements
- Start-up business support and grants
Progression through the programme is encouraged. Individuals will receive support and mentoring.
Work opportunities in the following areas:
- Horticulture: food growing, plant production, amenity horticulture, community gardening.
- Food retail: packing, transport, market sales, café work including front of house.
- Food processing: cooking and catering, bread baking, preparation and marketing of new local food products, such as jams, chutneys, baby foods etc (secondary processing).
This programme is open to people who are:
- 16-25 years old
- resident in Waltham Forest
- not in education, employment or training
Work Taster Dates
Work tasters are every week for 5 weeks from 5-6th November until 3-4 December; 21-22 January
Every week for 5 weeks from 18-19 February to 18-19 March
Sign up for a taster session to take place at Hawkwood Community Plant Nursery. Young people who’ve attended two taster sessions will be eligible to join the work experience programme.
To find our more please contact email@example.com
Call 020 8524 4994 (speak to Jo Clarke or Clare Joy)